Friday, August 1, 2008

Thing #18... Online Productivity Tools

Since I didn't feel like downloading Open Office, I went ahead and decided to review Google Docs instead.  Needless to say, I was truly surprised when I clicked on the link and found a document page that listed the Notebooks entries that I have kept since starting Learning 2.0!

Advantages of using Google Docs versus MS Office:
  • great for students --all they need is a computer with Internet access & no costly software is involved
  • can be used with Windows, Safari & other platforms
  • ability to share documents and collaborate on them with others at the same time --it reminds me of a wiki! 
  • ability to access documents from anywhere without having to carry your flash drive around your neck!
  • ability to publish document as a web or blog with no need to master html! 
  • documents can be saved in pdf, which is not possible in Word except if you have the Adobe program, I think
  • Word-processing has same features as MS Word except the limited number of fonts and the lack of more advanced graphic features (adding speech bubbles), but it is extremely user-friendly
  • templates are available --it made creating a presentation very easy and after dabbling with it a bit, I found it even easier than PowerPoint!
  • Since I am not too much of a spreadsheet kinda gal, I bypassed this application for review...

Disadvantages of using Google Docs versus MS Office:
  • safety --there are just certain documents that I would not feel comfortable saving on a server that is not the school's.
  • possible slow Internet connection at times
  • very likely limited space provided for free on the server --my typical presentation files are always humongous!

1 comment:

VWB said...

open Office is already on yur school laptop so you won't need to download it if you choose to use it at some point.