Sunday, August 3, 2008

Thing #23... Reflection on Library2Play

Looking back at my blog, I am overall amazed at how much I have learned about technology over the course of these past 2 months. I actually love my "online portfolio" and know that I will reference it in the future to review the tools introduced during the course and ultimately also to record on the new discoveries that I plan to add on to my technology belt.

I think in general that blogging has been my favorite discovery and I really would like to use it as a tool for learning and reflection with my students, in the likes of teachers like Mark Ahlness. Of course, I loved "playing" with the creative applications like the online image generators, but I was really thrilled about the Google tools available, particularly the Reader. Organizing efficiently by creating my own folksonomy of tags through del.icio.us has been another highlight of this discovery experience too. Finding about Zamzar as a way to bypass the SBISD firewall to show educational vidcasts was another AHA moment. It's really hard to find which one I enjoyed most...

Library2play has helped me go beyond my fear of the unknown world of new technology and I have tremendously appreciated the scaffolding that the discovery assignments have provided. I really enjoyed the format and being able to work at my own pace. One of the thing I was scared of was not to have the discipline to get behind the computer regularly, but somehow I managed because of the engaging way the course was set up. Kudos to you all, Kickball Captains! I will without a doubt revisit the Common Craft website in the future to continue to keep abreast of technology with their short and simple videos.

The unexpected take-away is that I can now have a conversation with my computer engineering friend and actually know what all of the little icons like RSS and Technorati represent on his blog! I am no longer a technology nincompoop! How refreshing to see the light! So, YES, definitely, if there were another discovery program like this in the future, I would participate in it, as long as it is during the summer. Again, thank you for opening my eyes to all of the fascinating tools of this new digital world!

~CARPE DIEM with 23 "Things:" the future of technology is already here!~

5 comments:

VWB said...

Congratulations on having such a "powerfully" successful summer! Look forward to what else you have to say in your blog as the school year progresses.

christiefrey said...

Wow! GOOD JOB, you finished! Thanks for the comments. Hopefully, I can finish mine too!

christiefrey said...

Wow, GOOD JOB, you finished! Thank you for the comments. Hopefully, i can finish soon also!

Alex Rover said...

Congratulations! Looking forward to collaborating with you on how to implement some of these new ideas & resources into our classes.

Cheryl Laucher said...

Congratulations! Excellent blogging.