Thursday, June 12, 2008

Thing #5... Flickr

I was a little worried about choosing an image that might be "copyrighted," even after reading the Creative Commons information. The 4-page comic strip was a fun reinforcer to help internalize most of the differences. I think it would be a useful & concrete tool to explain the different laws that govern intellectual properties to my ESL students... I was still very relieved that just before you get to download the actual image, there are Creative Commons icons again just in case you need extra reassurance that you are not breaking the law! The coolest part is that when you actually click on either them, it tells you exactly what you are allowed to do with the pix in plain old jargon-free English! I just wonder what I need to do to now to give credit to the author and so that it shows right below the picture... FYI, this picture of the Paris subway sign was taken by pedrosimoes7 .

4 comments:

Mrs. Meuse said...

Awesome, I think I missed the comic strip. Is there any way you could post the link so we can check it out too? Thanks for the heads up!

ESLFroggie said...

The comic strip can be found at http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Spectrumofrights_Comic1 and is very helpful.

Alex Rover said...

I agree all the copyright rules are confusing. You did a great job.

Cheryl Laucher said...

Yes, I like the jargon-free English, too. The new stuff on the internet is more and more user-friendly, which translates to more fun!