Monday, June 30, 2008

Thing #9...9 useful library-related blogs & news feeds

I tried most of the blog search tools and liked Edublogs' award winners the best. For a blog-reading novice like me, it was nice to find some high quality blogs that had already received a stamp of approval by peers and not have to jump through hoops to sift through the millions of entries out there in cyberspace.

I am planning on creating a blog roll to showcase some of these fabulous "substance" blogs that I discovered, amongst them the one by Clay Burrell (Beyond School) which provided great reviews on the cool educational tools available online. Check out the "self-centered" interactive pop quiz that I created after reading Strut Your Etymo-Lexico Stuff with a Mystudiyo Vocab Quiz. Burrell's blog was easy to add because after clicking on his RSS feed icon,it asked me to which platform (Google Reader, Rojo, Newsgater, Pageflake, Netvibes, etc.) I wished to add it, and voila, it was a done deal. Everything did not go as smoothly with other RSS feeds that I encountered; for example, after I clicked the RSS icon to subscribe to a feed, a new page of seemingly nothing but html mumbo-jumbo would pop up, and that would be it. I wasn't sure what to do with it (there was nowhere to click on it), so instead, I went back to my Google Reader and added the feed manually by entering the blog's URL... That worked without a glitch.

Incidentally, I also found the new term (for me)of "permalinks" and I was wondering if they are the same thing as RSS feeds. Some of the blogs I read had that permalink hyperlink but I don't know what its use is. When I clicked on it at the end of a blog, the same gobly-gook came up as for non-working RSS feeds, i.e. more of these html hieroglyphics I had mentioned before!

Here is my review of the other blog/news search I tried out, on a scale of 1 to 5 stars (5 being the best):

School Library Blogs on Suprglu - *** Good information and links to other blogs, but I am glad that I had the pointers given by our Captains, else I don't think I would have known what to do with the site.

Google Blog Search - **** Very user-friendly and straight to the point. I did a search for "Library2Play" and there were around 150 results for it, including the comments people left on the blogs! Way to go, Spring Branch!

Topix.net - **** Great presentation --clean and organized. I liked the advanced search feature which allows to do "blog-less" searches and only focus on news results instead. Good tool to locate RSS feeds for information.

Syndic8.com - * Too drab for me; I need more colors and I had a hard time operating the site.

Technorati - **** Great blog finding tool! I really enjoyed Blogger Central: what’s percolating in blogs now and all the features it includes, such as "Rising links of the day." It sort of reminds me of the "trends" available in the Google Reader, of which, I must confess I have become really fond!

Interactive Online Quiz Created with MyStudiyo

3 comments:

Grendel said...

You did an outstanding job of summarizing these tools, and I thank you for the refresher course!I played the "How well do you know me?" game and got 200 out of 400. It was really fun to play; I love interactive experiences in blogs! I enjoyed your vocab quiz--thanks!

Cheryl Laucher said...

How fun was that?! Woo-hoo, I totally flunked! Well...I got 2 out of 4 right AND they were the most important ones...your nickname and your puppy. Thanks for the FUN and I really enjoyed reading your blog: it was very informative and well explained. Keep playing!

CB said...

Hey, thanks for the props. Now let me share a quiz tool that I discovered since Mystudiyo.com that I think is better: quizlet.com.

Check it out - it was coded by a high school student and totally kicks butt. You'll see why after making a quiz and checking out all the things you can do with it. :)