Monday, June 23, 2008

Thing #6... Mashups & 3rd Party Sites

I guess, why reinvent the wheel when you can use mashups? :) What a clever idea! I can see how I could use bighugelabs.com with my ESL students to create a mosaic of self-selected pictures from Flickr to illustrate a theme from literature. I enjoyed playing and designing my own mosaic, although I had some technical problems a few times and the page remained blank when I just pasted the URLs in the boxes. When I used the other option of linking bighugelabs.com to Flickr Toys, everything went smoothly. Here is the mosaic created with pix of pooches that I cherish and who continue to be a big part of my life; students could use non-copyrighted pictures on more abstract concepts instead. Another application I can see for using bighugelabs.com is to have students create their own magazine cover after they have been introduced to informational text features. They would use the tool from Big Huge Labs. Of course, Warholizing a pix is fun too... and makes me wish I were an art teacher too! :)

Image hosted @ bighugelabs.com

2 comments:

Mamalibearian said...

There are so many different things you could use mashups for. And I'm sure the kids will come up with even more. Can't wait to see them all!

Cheryl Laucher said...

I love your mosaic of doggies...they look so loveable. The mosaic feature is a great way to get a lot of photos into something you're creating without taking up too much space.